Tuesday, July 8

Too Much

In my years of programming, I've noticed that programmers have one basic trait in common: ego. We like to think we are perfect. I am acutely embarrassed by any mistake I make, whether anyone else notices or not. Yet when I look over a small portion of the programming stuff on the Web, I am overwhelmed. Languages: Java, C#, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, SQL, and on and on. Methodologies: Design patterns, SCRUM, Agile, TDD, etc. Frameworks such as Spring, ORMs such as Hibernate, Databases, Unit testing. Take any one of these, and I have just scratched the surface. I don't even know what I don't know. But I'm disinclined to admit that. I think it's been tattooed into my brain that if I admit to that, some people panic. This comes from years of being the sole developer on a project. It was in C, and although others were hired to work on it, they either didn't get it, or moved on as soon as they did.

I should be insulted. I've read through most of TheDailyWTF, and none of it looks to be mine. Certainly I've done SOMETHING that merits an article or two, or three... Alex probably just can't believe it. Either that or every stupid thing I've done has been done already.

No comments: